SSG-2 Fluidless Snow Pillow for Ground Applications
The SSG-2 Fluidless Snow Pillow (Snow Scale) is a precision Snow Water Equivalent measuring device which is developed for quick and easy installation and implementation in the field. A broad outer frame of plates minimizes the effects of ice bridging commonly…
- Automatic Measurement of Snow Water Equivalent (SWE)
- Realistic representation of actual snow https://hydrologicalusa.com/
- High accuracy and minimization of ice bridging effect
- Optimized thermal flow between sensor and ground for high accuracy during the melting process
- Reliable, light and long life aluminum construction
- Measure up to 3000mm (120 inches) of SWE
- Simple and easy installation and setup
- Maintenance Free - No antifreeze liquid required
- Simple systems integration
- Superior Weight Distribution - no warping or bending
- Aluminum frame and support panels made in the USA
- SDI-12 and RS-485 outputs
- Measures using 4 independent load cells
- Automatic compensation for loss of any load cell
- Optional measurement of ground temperature or snow temperature near the ground
- Very low power consumption
The SSG-2 Fluidless Snow Pillow (Snow Scale) is a precision Snow Water Equivalent measuring device which is developed for quick and easy installation and implementation in the field. A broad outer frame of plates minimizes the effects of ice bridging commonly experienced late in the measurement season. The use of lightweight aluminum materials minimizes thermal resistance improving heat flow throughout the device for better emulation of natural conditions.
The working principle of the SSG-2 is based on the measuring principle of load cells. The sensor consists of seven perforated plates, each plate measuring 31.44" x 47.16"(inches). The center panel and six surrounding panels allow water to percolate through the sensor. Water percolation minimizes thermal differences between the sensor and surrounding panels act to buffer the center panel, where SWE is measured, from stress concentrations that develop along the perimeter of the sensor. This system allows accurate measurement even during periods of rapid snow settlement following large snow accumulations.
Fields of Application
The snow water equivalent serves as an important parameter in monitoring snow and rainfall and in assessing snow quantities as well as for flood protection or water management. Various environmental authorities, weather services, hydrologists and water management use the snow scales accordingly. In comparison with the commonly used snow pillow, the snow scales does not use antifreeze and therefore can be installed in natural reserves without any risk.
The working principle of the SSG is based on the measuring principle of load cells. The sensor consists of seven perforated panels of a size of 80 x 120 cm each. This makes a total measuring surface of 2.8 x 2.4 m. The perforation of the panels prevents water accumulation, minimizes the difference in temperature between the scales and the ground and promotes uniform melting. The measurement is carried out on the centre plate, the surrounding plates serve as a stabilizing zone in order to compensate stress in the snow pack as well as to counteract the problem of ice bridges through the large measuring surface. The SSG system provides more accurate measuring data compared to the snow pillow during periods of snow melt. Furthermore, the modular design of the snow scale facilitates quick and easy assembly on level ground up to an inclination of five degrees.